How about BEANS for breakfast?
As part of our BEAN/LEGUME Family Challenge month we wanted to
highlight our favorite TOFU SCRAMBLE recipe!
Yes- scrambled “eggs” made out of tofu…crazy I know,
but this recipe is seriously good!
And by replacing eggs with TOFU you significantly reduce your cholesterol & saturated fat intake which reduces your risk of HEART DISEASE (the leading killer in the US).
We have made prettier, fluffier tofu scrambles, that look gorgeous but taste bland and the texture is spongy. This recipe might not look as pretty, but has great texture AND great flavor. The secret is cooking the tofu and browning it before you start adding other ingredients (instead of adding everything at once and letting it cook). This allows the tofu to get extra firm and crispy on the edges. It takes about 10-15 minutes for the water to cook off and the tofu to get nicely browned.
There is also a SPECIAL ingredient that is optional, but makes this scramble that much better!
BLACK SALT (kala namak)
This is a special type of Indian mineral salt. It is actually pinkish grey rather than black and has a very distinctive sulfurous mineral taste (like hard boiled egg yolks). How cool is that!
I found mine at a specialty market in Salt Lake City, Utah called Tony Caputo’s.
TOFU “Egg” Scramble
12 ounce package extra-firm tofu, crumbled
2 tsp Olive Oil
3/4 cup red onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
3/4 cup black beans
1 cup pico salsa or diced tomato
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Black Salt (Kala Namak), to taste
1. Open the package of tofu and drain all the liquid. Use a tofu press if you have one or use paper towels and a weighted plate on top to drain as much liquid as you can. Let sit and drain for 10 minutes or so.
2. Heat a frying pan to medium-high and add a little oil (or use a non-stick pan, which means you don’t really need the oil). I only needed 1 tsp to coat the pan. Then add the tofu and cook for 10-15 minutes or until browned and cooked throughout.
3. Remove the cooked tofu from the pan and set aside. With the 2 teaspoons of oil added to the pan, begin sauteing the onion. Cook until soft (about 4-5 minutes). Add the turmeric and nutritional yeast, and cook for about a minute.
4. Then add the BLACK BEANS and Cooked TOFU to the mixture. Mix and heat the mixture for about 1 minute.
5. Lastly, add the PICO Salsa (or tomato) and cook for just a minute or so, not overcooking the tomato.
6. Remove from hit and toss in the cilantro. Add the BLACK salt to taste.
7. Serve with AVOCADO and toast or wrapped in a tortilla shell.
For more information on why WHOLE FOOD MOMMIES promotes eating EGGS sparingly…check out this excellent VIDEO by NUTRITIONFACTS.org
Source: WFM 1-10