My MOM is the BEST!!! She gave me a great present a couple of weeks ago…in my book it is PRICELESS!
She gave me 14 jars of the BEST CANNED TOMATOES EVER!!!
She said that she wanted to SERVE me and my family and thought we would enjoy this. Enjoy doesn’t even begin to describe how I feel about them. Having these jars on hand means I have 14 easy, quick, and healthy meals at my finger tips. Basically I pour a jar into my soup pot, add any vegetables I have on hand along with a can of beans (I love using the beans in the picture below), and I have a super yummy meal. This recipe gives the tomatoes such a good flavor- I don’t have to add any other seasonings to help it taste good.
It is her special recipe that takes a little more effort than just canning tomatoes, but it is well worth it!
The BEST Canned Tomatoes Ever!
1. Scald, Skin and quarter a 1/2 bushel of garden tomatoes (should almost fill a cold pack canner- making sure you have enough room in the pot for vegetable mixture below).
2. OPTIONAL: Run the quartered tomatoes through a food processor for smoother texture (kids prefer this because the finished product will have no chunks).
3. Place tomatoes on stove top in large pot (I use a cold pack canner pot) and bring to a boil, leave on medium high while you move onto the next step.
4. In a food processor, chop the following vegetables (you don’t need to mince them, just thoroughly chop): 6 large onions, 3 medium green peppers and 1 bunch of celery.
5. Place vegetable mixture in a seperate pot and cook for 30 minutes with 3/4 cup water. (Your kitchen will be smelling SO GOOD at this point).
6. Add the vegetable mixture to your bubbling tomatoes.
7. Add the following ingredients to your mixture: 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup non-iodized salt. Mix thoroughly.
8. Place 2 TBS of LEMON JUICE in your quart jars (this should make about 14-18 jars total). And then pour the tomato mixture into them.
9. Pressure cook at 13 lbs for 35 minutes.
Source: WFM 1-10