Here are some yummy recipes my family loves that include those most desirable DARK LEAFY GREENS. Hope you enjoy!
VEGGIE Sushi with Collard Greens
These are suprisingly yummy and so much fun to make! You can substitute any veggie you want…it’s fun to try new veggies & flavors of hummus.
To be honest- by 4 year old hasn’t dared try them- but he sure watches his older sister almost eat the whole plate. I am just hoping she will rub off on him sooner or later. But even if this recipe isn’t one for your children’s liking… make is just for you- you can never eat enough dark leafy greens 🙂
• 1 bunch collards
• 8 tablespoons hummus
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
• 1/4 red pepper, cut in thin strips
• 1/4 small cucumber, cut in thin strips (skin optional)
• 1/4 cup shredded carrots
• 1/2 lemon
1. Put about 2 inches of water in a large frying pan and bring to a boil.
2. Choose 4 of the nicest collard greens. Lay them flat, cut off the thick stem at the point where the leaf begins then pile them on top of each other in the boiling water. Cover and cook for about 30 seconds to a minute. Collards are pretty tough and don’t easily break apart when cooked. Their flexibility makes them a perfect wrap.
3. Drain then lay flat on a board or counter with the thick part of the stem facing up.
4. Down the center spine of each collard leaf place a row of about 2 tablespoons hummus, sprinkle with green onions, cilantro and shredded carrots. Place thin red pepper strips and cucumber strips on top.
5. Start with the side nearest you, flip it over and gently roll into a sausage shape.
6. With a sharp knife, cut into as many small pieces as possible. You should be able to get six or more pieces, but it will depend on your collard size.
EAT & SHARE & ENJOY!
Veggie Curry Dish
In a large sauce pan saute
1 cup chopped onions
2 small carrots, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Cook these for about 5 minutes then add
2 cups of raw broccoli
1 cup chopped Kale or Collard Greens
Corn cut from 2 cobs (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 cups of mushrooms (whole or sliced)
1 cup cooked diced potatoes
Add BASIC CREAM SAUCE (see recipe)
1 TBS fresh grated ginger
2 large TBS of curry paste
1 tsp cumin
1 cup coconut milk
2 TBS orange juice concentrate (optional)
Cook until the vegetables reach desired consistency and sauce has thickened. Serve over warm brown rice or quinoa.
Source: WFM 1-10